7 Readings: (2 websites, 3 research papers, and 2 comic books)
1. The John Newbery Medal
2. Newbery Terms, Criteria, Submission, and Committee Information
3. Has The Newbery Lost Its Way? by Silvey 2008 (Attached)
4. Are Newbery winners the new not-to-read list? by Valerie Strauss
5. Captain Underpants Doesn’t Need a Newbery Medal by Erica Perl
6. New Kid by Jerry Craft
7. Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
The student will have the opportunity to write a 2-3 page (approximately 500-750 words) double spaced reflection in order to demonstrate their mastery of the topic. These responses will be posted on the relevant discussion board. They are graded out of 3 points: one point for responding to each of the assigned texts and one point per ELO.
Your reflection should address significant concepts you are grappling with in your engagement in each week’s readings. Be sure to discuss specific passages from and connections between the readings from the week. Remember to address ELO 1 (analyze, interpret, and critique the literature) and ELO 2 (consider cultural influences and affects).
In your response, you may consider answering these guided questions. You are, however, not limited to these questions and can explore other relevant topics of interest to you:
1. What do you think about prizing in children’s literature? Who awards the prizes and how might that affect what books win? Are award-winning books automatically better than non-award winners? Why do you think some books get attention over others?
2. Do you think New Kid is deserving of the Newbery Medal? How about Last Stop on Market Street, which won in 2016? Why or why not?
3. What would be your own criteria for prizing children’s literature?
4. Given your criteria, if you had to choose one book from the semester thus far to award a prize, which book would you choose and why? Or, why would you not choose any of them?
1 point— mentions all assigned readings and discusses them together (New Kid, Last Stop on Market Street, Silvey, Strauss, Perl)
1 point- analyzes, interprets, and critiques significant works of young adult literature (ELO 1)
1 point- appraises and evaluates the personal and social values of their own and other cultures (ELO 2)
Papers are written from scratch We have molded our writers to develop content for all assignments from scratch. This way, we promote originality and reduce cases of plagiarism that might affect your grades and hinder you from realizing your academic goals. We encourage our clients to indicate the deliverables that should be featured in the final paper. Our online help services allow one to make a clarification and even interact with the writer directly to help them understand the needs of the assignment. Many of our writers are professional tutors who understand the approaches that should be used to fulfill the specified instructions. Every time a client places an order on our system, we link them with the most qualified writer in the subject of interest.
YUnlike other writing companies, we encourage clients to draw back their money at any stage of the writing process if they experience any uncertainties with the quality of generated content. However, you will hardly have to make this decision because of our business approach that suits your needs.
We have an advanced plagiarism-detection system that flags any work that fails to meet the required academic expectations. Our company thrives in honesty, and as such, you will be guaranteed to achieve a paper that meets your expectations.
We encourage our clients to return papers for revision seven days after the last submission for free. Depending on the proposed changes, we will work on your article to achieve the desired expectations.
We uphold confidentiality and privacy through our interactions with clients, an aspect that has enhanced our relationship with prospective customers seeking for assignment help. We do not disclose your information with third-parties
We boast of a diverse pool of ENL and ESL professionals who respond with a personal touch to the needs of every client. Our focus is to become the best platform that offers specialized services to individuals to accomplish their academic goals.