In classical rhetoric, dissoi logoi is the practice of writing two opposing arguments. The ability to entertain multiple sides of an issue is also a component of critical thinking. Let’s start with a list of antithetical positions.
Your job is to post to this discussion a mini-essay in MLA format arguing both sides of an issue.
1. Call “dibs” on one below topic or devise your own original topic. Each student must select a different topic.
2. Research your topic. Find at least three sources using the Coastline Online Library. (See instructions in this week’s Module.) You may use Google to find the rest of your sources.
3. Write an introductory paragraph (6-10 sentences) giving an overview of the two topics. Open with a hook; provide background; finish with a thesis sentence stating the purpose of this mini-essay: to investigate two opposing sides of an issue.
4. Write one body paragraph (6-10 sentences each) advocating one side of the dissoi logoi. Be sure to incorporate evidence and citations from your sources.
5. Write one other body paragraphs (6-10 sentences each) advocating the opposite side of the dissoi logoi. Again, incorporate evidence and citations from your sources in MLA style. Up to this point, a reader should not be able to recognize whether you prefer one side over the other.
o Each body paragraph must incorporate two sources (two brief quotations or paraphrases + citations in MLA style). Remember that you must set up or lead into a quotation with a signal phrase, and you must provide an MLA citation after the quotation: (author page#).
o Paragraphs should be organized in the usual fashion: topic sentence stating main idea, major and minor supporting details (include exactly two brief quotations + citations), concluding sentence.
6. Write a conclusion paragraph (6-10 sentences) stating what you personally think and why.
7. Provide a Works Cited list in MLA style showing your web / electronic sources. To see how, [ https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_works_cited_electronic_sources.html ]
8. After you post your mini-essay, you’ll provide a peer review by replying to two classmates with on-point (on fleek!) suggestions for improving their writing, e.g., grammar, punctuation, organization, use of sources, logic, argumentation.
9. I need having 2 Agree and disagree for the essay topic
Throughout the work week, please review my feedback on your classmates’ discussion posts and on your own. These writing exercises are public because you can learn much from observing others’ writing techniques and revisions. Thank you!
Learning outcomes: Write well-organized, well-developed expository essays in a variety of rhetorical modes, using Standard English, with a clear thesis statement, supporting topic sentences, and supporting details. Demonstrate information competency. Use effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Dissoi logoi mini-essay rubric
/2 Organization: overview intro with thesis; two body paragraphs with transitions, topic sentences, major / minor supporting details, and conclusions; conclusion paragraph
/3 Argumentation, MLA-cited quotations, Works Cited
/3 Grammar, punctuation, syntax, mechanics
/2 peer review: two meaningful, grammatically correct replies cordially critiquing classmates’ writing
Here’s an exhausting but not exhaustive list of topics born from an idle brain, as Athena was born from Zeus’s head:
• Google Maps / Waze is the superior app for getting one around in a car.
• The SAT is enhanced / is diminished by the new Adversity Score intended to give colleges a fuller picture of a test-taker’s socio-economic status.
• The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice (M.L.K., Jr.) / it bends toward chaos (T.N. Coates).
• The new education model wherein the instructor is a “guide on the side” facilitating student-student interactions is superior / inferior to the old “sage on the stage” model wherein the instructor lectures as subject matter expert.
• The classroom should be an intellectually safe space where students are given trigger warnings (notified ahead of time) about distressing content so they can choose to leave the room / the world is not a safe space, so the classroom must expose students to new ideas and coping skills, even if those ideas are controversial or upsetting.
• Sopranos / Mad Men is the greater TV series.
• Online / onsite class is more educational.
• The National Rifle Association does / does not meet the definition of a homegrown terrorist organization.
• Gentrification resuscitates downtrodden areas / drives out locals and wipes out neighborhood identity.
• Abstinence-only education / realistic sex education is more effective in reducing teen pregnancy and STIs.
______for more information please review the attached file_____
Papers are written from scratch We have molded our writers to develop content for all assignments from scratch. This way, we promote originality and reduce cases of plagiarism that might affect your grades and hinder you from realizing your academic goals. We encourage our clients to indicate the deliverables that should be featured in the final paper. Our online help services allow one to make a clarification and even interact with the writer directly to help them understand the needs of the assignment. Many of our writers are professional tutors who understand the approaches that should be used to fulfill the specified instructions. Every time a client places an order on our system, we link them with the most qualified writer in the subject of interest.
YUnlike other writing companies, we encourage clients to draw back their money at any stage of the writing process if they experience any uncertainties with the quality of generated content. However, you will hardly have to make this decision because of our business approach that suits your needs.
We have an advanced plagiarism-detection system that flags any work that fails to meet the required academic expectations. Our company thrives in honesty, and as such, you will be guaranteed to achieve a paper that meets your expectations.
We encourage our clients to return papers for revision seven days after the last submission for free. Depending on the proposed changes, we will work on your article to achieve the desired expectations.
We uphold confidentiality and privacy through our interactions with clients, an aspect that has enhanced our relationship with prospective customers seeking for assignment help. We do not disclose your information with third-parties
We boast of a diverse pool of ENL and ESL professionals who respond with a personal touch to the needs of every client. Our focus is to become the best platform that offers specialized services to individuals to accomplish their academic goals.